Saturday, February 8, 2014

Tutorial for 'explosion' card


Hello!

This is my first tutorial so I hope that y'all are able to understand it.

I had seen a card similar to this somewhere on Pinterest but I cannot find the original posting as I was going to give credit to the person that made the card I had seen.  Please if you know that person or are that person please put your link in the comments.  This idea was awesome and I have made a few already.

I am using this monster truck file from LSHD and you can find the pattern here.  The truck measures about 4 1/2" wide by 3" tall.  I am making my card a 6x6.





The next step is to cut the paper(s) to go on the front of the card. I cut mine at 5 3/4 x 5 3/4.  You want to use a double sided paper, if you don't have double sided paper then you can glue two sheets of paper back to back.  This is what I did.  Also make sure that the middle is glued really well, this is where you will be cutting your 'explosion'.
 2 sheets cut at 5 3/4 x 5 3/4
the 2 sheets glued back to back

Next step is to draw a 2" to 2 1/2" circle on the middle front.  I drew a 2 1/2" for this card. (I actually traced my diet dr. pepper can! LOL)
Next, with a ruler draw lines across in all directions.  This is where you decide how many 'explosions' you want.  I did quite a few on this one but on the Frog and Hippo card I made I didn't do as many.

After you have drawn the lines now you want to cut them with an exacto knife and ruler.  You may have to move some of the flaps out of the way before continuing cutting as it may cut off some of the tips if you don't. (you can see that I did cut off few of them)
Now you take a pencil and curl each piece back. 
Cut a coordinating paper for the backing. I cut it a little smaller 5 1/2 x 5 1/2.
Glue just around the outer edges leaving room to slide in your piece.
I only put glue on the back wheel that will be sliding in between the backing and the top.

The curls help pop the truck up.
I will post the finished card soon as I am going to add some wording to it.  Please do not hesitate to ask any questions if you don't understand.

 Finished Card

Thanks for stopping by!!
steph

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this card! Very original. New follower :-)

    Linda
    http://www.craftingwithnana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate you stopping by and becoming a new follower!

      Delete
  2. Steph!! EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS!! I can't thank you enough!!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. Now it all makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to show us step by step.

    ReplyDelete